Where to travel
On this site we offer several options for trips in our surroundings
both by foot, on the bicycle, by train or by car.
For more than 760 years, the Český Šternberk castle has been dominating the countryside of the middle reach of the Sázava River on a steep rocky bank once named the Pearl of Posázaví by a romantic poet. It was founded in 141 by Zdeslav of Divišov and named “Šternberk” according to the custom at that time. From this comes also the new predicate of the Sternbeg family house and their coat of arms bearing an eight-pointed star. It is remarkable and undoubtedly unique that the castle has been still held by the same family of the former builder Zdeslav of Sternberg. The distance of the castle from our hotel is 12 km by walking if you follow a “red” tourist trail. You can get there also along a cycle trail or you can visit the castle by train. For further information and opening times see www.hradceskystenberk.cz.
Velký and Malý Blaník
The Blaník Massive is formed by two forested rocky hills - Velký Blaník (638 above sea level) and Malý Blaník (580 above sea level). Velký Blaník is 638 m high, it is a legend braided hill in the Central Bohemia Region. It is situated some 10 kilometres east of Vlašim in the territory of Louňovice pod Blaníkem. This is the place connected to the legend of the Blaník knights. In hard moments of the Czech history, it was a symbol of hope of obtaining freedom and independence by the Czech nation. The name Blaník is possibly derived from a Celtic Blaniak. Blaník is a part of the protected landscape area CHKO Blaník (from 1981, 40 km2). Under the hills, there is a municipality called Louňovice pod Blaníkem and a river that flows through the village called Blanice (Sázava tributary). Malý Blaník is located close to Louňovice pod Blaníkem over a village named Býkovice this is the smaller “brother” of the more famous and more frequently searched for Velký Blaník. On its top, there is a ruin of a historic pilgrimage chapel of St. Mary Magdalene. This chapel was completed here in 1753 mainly because pilgrimages had been held here already from the 16th century. However, 30 years later the chapel was cancelled by a decree of Emperor Joseph II. Nobody took care of the chapel since then and, therefore, it has fallen into today´s status of ruin. In the centre of the ruin, there grows a huge old spruce which is called the "Monk" (diameter of the trunk is approximately 320 cm, height is 34 m).
Želivka Water Works (Švihov)
Želivka water works is an extensive set of constructins. Embankment bank was built in the period from 1965 to 1972 4km above the confluence of Želivka and Sázava. The bank is 58m high; the crest is 850 m long. The output of the water treatment plant reaches 7 litres per second. For more detailed information see www.zelivka.cz.
Foundation of the town Kutná Hora is traditionally connected to the development of the monetary economy in the 13th century, however, the dawn of mining came a lot earlier. The beginnings of ore mining go significantly further to the history. Surface traces of silver ore were probably discovered in the late 10th century by the Slavníks who had small silver coins – denars – struck at their settlement in Malín, today a part of Kutná Hora in the period 985-995. The awareness of silver wealth in the area is sometimes said to have spread along with the founding of the Cistercian monastery in Sedlec in 1142. Kutná Hora is a traditional tourist centre. Information on St. Barbara’s Cathedral, Jesuits College, St. Jacob church, Italian Court or a nearby ossuary and many others rank among historic monuments you can find at www.kutnahora.cz.
Jan Rudolf Chotek the then supreme burgrave of the Kingdom of Bohemia and president of governorate commissioned the construction of the Kačina Chateau as his representative residence in 1806 – 1824. Today it houses the Museum of Rural Life in Bohemia. The museum gradually enabled access to other parts of the chateau, such as the Chotek library, chateau theatre and extensive Chotek exhibition. An extensive park into which the chateau is set attracts for walks. More at www.kacina.cz.
At present, the Kácov township has some 800 inhabitants. Thanks to its location in the picturesque valley of the Sázava River it is popular among tourists mainly during the summer months. The first mention of the township comes from 1318. Among its most significant historic sights falls a renaissance-baroque chateau built in 1726-33 by Anna Maria Grand Duchess of Tuscany (1672 - 1741). The chateau is connected via a corridor with another historic sight – parish temple of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary reconstructed in 1862. In this temple, the remnants of St. Liberát are deposited. At the town square, a unique a sculptural group is situated of Virgin Mary and Fourteen Holy Helpers made of red sandstone. Close to Kácov, on the left bank of the Sázava River you may also visit remains of a former fortress. The most famous Kácov native is Jan Valerián Jirsík (1798 - 1883), who became a bishop in Budějovice. Opposite the church, there is his native house (originally of the Renaissance period) with a memorial plaque. Today, the house is used as a town hall and information centre. In 1457, a brewery was founded in Kácov where beer has been brewed until this day. For more information go to www.kacov.cz.
Zruč nad Sázavou Chateau
The Zruč nad Sázavou Chateau has been the property of the town since 2003. The chateau was reconstructed within a two-stage project named “the Zruč Chateau comes alive”. The chateau attracts visitors to see interiors (a small and big route) visit the tower, a gallery with the all year operation, a museum of shoe making titled” From the cobbler's stool to Bata” and to the exposition titled “the Kingdom of Dolls”. In the courtyard entry, you can find the information centre selling tickets to cultural events, providing information on the surrounding areas, suggestions where to travel, information on accommodation, information on cultural and sports events, public internet, copy centre. The chateau is open from May to September. The information centre is open all year round. Reservations for groups of more than 10 people are possible even outside the main season. Reservation at phone number: 327 531 329 (information centre), e-mail: email@example.com, 327 531 194 (culture), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information go to www.mesto-zruc.cz.